The Proteus Gamma I Cell is a single-body PTFE cell. As its namesake suggests, the cell finds use for two broad applications:
- for photoelectrochemical experiments, where light enters the cell to activate a species (i.e., catalyst) on the electrode (anode) to initiate an electrochemical reaction. In this configuration, customers will want to purchase optically transparent quartz window(s) (RRPG313) with the cell.
- for the electrochemical corrosion analysis of flat, often coated, metal samples. In this configuration, flat metal samples are installed on one (or both) ends of the cell, additional electrodes as required are placed in the cell through access ports, and corrosion measurements are made on these flat metal samples. Scientists often use such a cell to evaluate the corrosion resistance of coatings (paints and polymers). In this configuration, customers will want to purchase the Flat Electrode Connectors (AC01CKT1012S01 and AC01CKT1012S02) with the cell.
The Proteus Gamma I cell is especially suited to thin and planar samples without the need for expensive sample holders or custom electrodes. The same flexibility allows for the installation of transparent window(s), such as quartz disks for photoelectrochemical use. The Proteus Gamma I was designed to be simple to use, quick to assemble/disassemble/clean, sturdy, flexible, and versatile. For many applications, the Proteus Gamma I Cell from Pine Research can simplify the physical setup of of both corrosion and photoelectrochemical experiments.
Proteus Gamma I cell design employs two polycarbonate plates on either side of a ~65 mL PTFE cell. Along the body of the cell are three 14/20 ports, ideal for all required electrodes and small diameter photoanodes for photoelectrochemical applications. One of the ports can be used for sparging/purging solution in the cell as well. The design of the Proteus Gamma I cell has the following dimensions and features:
- Opening #1 is a 1.43 cm OD opening (1.6 cm2 exposed).
- Opening #2 is a 3.12 cm OD opening (7.7 cm2 exposed).
- Flat fluroelastomer O-rings (included with cell) seat into the PTFE cell body, providing just enough give to provide a seal with included polycarbonate end plates.
- Flat sample and/or glass/quartz window insert thickness can vary between 1 mm and 4 mm.
- Polycarbonate end plates held in place with two nuts, for easy assembly and disassembly.
- PTFE cell body contains three 14/20 tapered joints for working, electrode, and counter electrodes as well as purging/sparging accessories.
- Chemically resistant PTFE cell is ideal for aqueous and non-aqueous experiments, including high alkaline solutions.
- Two-in-one cell system. Simply replace flat metal samples with quartz windows to convert between corrosion and photo electrochemical cell. The protean nature of this cell lends itself to use in multiple chemical applications.